Friday, May 9, 2014

Big news..

So, its time I finally share my news with the rest of the world. I'm pregnant with a little baby girl! She is due July 5th 2014 and I am very excited and overwhelmed.  I first found out around 23 weeks which for those who don't know week terms that's about 5 months.  But, her first ultrasound showed something was not quite right with her brain so I had to go a different doctor to have a second level ultrasound.  The results.. showed she has something called ventricular meglimy, when she is born it will be termed hydrocephalus.  It basically means that she has extra water on her brain, but in her case it's very severe and on both side ventricles of her brain.  I had an amniocentesis (needle inserted through my tummy into the placenta to get fluid for testing) and an MRI to try to figure out why she could have this, neither gave a definitive answer but ruled out other birth defects such as down syndrome or spina bifida.  The doctors believe she has a blockage in one of the ventricles in her brain causing a back flow to the side ventricles and it's just a freak thing that happens in rare cases.  Once she is born she will have brain surgery 1 to 3 days after she is born to put a shunt in to relive the water and drain it into her abdominal cavity.  Unfortunately, the damage being done to her brain in my belly may not be able to be reversed.  I've been told she will most likely have severe mental retardation and possible seizures once she is born.  This has been a very over whelming past few months with getting all this news and trying to decide what is best for me and her once she arrives.  I chose to wait for so long to tell everyone until I was completely ready and able to handle all the questions that will be thrown my way.  I will continue to use this site as a way to keep everyone updated on the information I receive on my little warrior baby.  I hope you all have a beautiful day.

It's a Girl! Coming in July
31 weeks
30 weeks

Her first ultrasound around 23 weeks
Left and middle is second ultrasound around 26 weeks
Right is from the first set

No comments:

Post a Comment